Most children’s games are usually passed down from one generation to another. ‘Ghosts in the Graveyard’ is one of the games that have been around for many years. The game is usually played in an outdoor area and requires a minimum of three friends to play. The more friends you can find, the better Ghosts in the Graveyard is likely to be! While it can be played at any time, it is more fun at night when it is dark and (hopefully) spooky.
Overview of Ghosts in the Graveyard
Ghosts in the Graveyard is a relatively easy game to play. One of the players will become The Ghost and go into hiding while the rest will try to find them. When a player finds The Ghost, they will alert the other players by shouting, “Ghost in the Graveyard!” The player who finds The Ghost is safe, while the others will start racing to the base before The Ghost can tag them. The Ghost, on the other hand, will go after the players and try to tag one of them before they get to the base. Any player who is tagged will become The Ghost in the next round of the game.
Ghosts in the Graveyard Preparation
- Mark The Grounds – The first step is to identify a base where players will run to and touch once The Ghost has been found. You can place an object at the base in order to make it easily identifiable.
- Determine The Boundaries – All the players involved in the game should agree on the boundaries to use for the game. Neither The Ghost nor the players is allowed to go beyond the boundaries when the game is on. Any player who goes beyond the boundaries in the course of the game will automatically become The Ghost.
- Choosing The Ghost – For each round of the game, one of the players will have to become The Ghost. Players can select a ghost from among themselves through a random selection process or by asking for a volunteer. In most cases, a random process such as using a rhyme can help to eliminate players until only one is left. The player who is left will then become The Ghost and run into hiding within the set boundaries.
Playing Ghosts in the Graveyard
- Gathering At The Base – The players will gather at the base while The Ghost runs into hiding. This will give them time to hide before the players start searching.
- Starting A New Game – The game starts by all players closing their eyes and counting down together from a predetermined number. When they are done, they will yell out a phrase to notify The Ghost that the search is about to start. They will then open their eyes and begin searching for The Ghost.
- Search For The Ghost – All the players are required to search for The Ghost all over the yard, as long as it is within the boundaries. When a player finds The Ghost, he or she will shout out loudly enough to inform the other players. The player who found The Ghost will then be safe while the rest will start running towards the base to touch it before The Ghost can tag them.
- Surprise a Player – While the players search, The Ghost is supposed to remain in hiding. However, The Ghost can jump out of the hiding area to surprise the players and tag them before they get enough time to get away!
- Chasing The Players – As the players run towards the base, The Ghost chases them and tries to tag one of them before they can touch the base. The player that is tagged will automatically become The Ghost in the next round of the game. In case all the players reach and touch the base before the ghost can tag them, The Ghost remains IT in the next round of the game.
Starting a New Round of Ghosts in the Graveyard
When every player is at the base and the next ghost has been identified, all the players will start to count down again. Meanwhile, The Ghost runs to hide before the players can finish counting down from the predetermined number. When the players finish counting down, the game will begin anew.
Add Some Fun to Ghosts in the Graveyard
To make the game more exciting, The Ghost should try and draw all players as far from the base as possible. This will make it more difficult for the players to reach the base before The Ghost tags them. If one of the players sounds the alert to the wrong person, this particular player will automatically become The Ghost in the next round of the game.
Ghosts in the Graveyard FAQ
- What happens if no player can find the ghost? In case none of the players can find The Ghost, they will remain in hiding as they continue to search. However, if The Ghost finds the perfect opportunity to surprise the players, they can jump out of its hiding place and tag one of them.
- What if two players find the ghost at the same time? Sometimes two players can find The Ghost at the same time. The best thing to do in such cases would be to identify the player who yelled out the alert first. This player will be safe and will not be among those to be tagged by The Ghost.
- Does the game end when The Ghost tags a player? Once The Ghost has tagged any player, the tagged player will become the next ghost. The other players who were running towards the base will be safe and will only have to gather at the base. They will then start preparing for the next round of the game.
- What if The Ghost has not gone into hiding by the time the players finish counting down? If The Ghost has not gone into hiding by the time the players finish counting down and open their eyes, the players will have to give The Ghost enough time to find a hiding place and hide. They can do this by starting the countdown anew.