This recipe is typically for a side dish but with all this veggie goodness, this hearty meal is perfect as a main dish for those who don’t eat meat.
Roasted Pumpkin, Sweet potato & Brown Rice Pilaf
Serving 8: 3/4 cup serving size
2 cups cubed raw pumpkin (½-inch cubes)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
2 tsp. olive oil, divided use
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium celery stalk, chopped
2 cups chopped kale
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
3 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry brown rice
1. Combine pumpkin, sweet potato, and 1 tsp. oil in a medium bowl; mix well.
2. Arrange pumpkin mixture on baking pan.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stir; continue baking for 10 to 12 additional minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Set aside.
4. Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
5. Add onion, celery, and kale; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
6. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
8. Add broth, bay leaf, and rice. Bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat to low; gently boil for 45 to 50 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Remove bay leaf.
9. Gently fold in pumpkin mixture.